Welcome to Ames
This is a small list of fun or useful things to do in Ames and surrounding areas.
Featuring some highlights from Des Moines too.
If you have some additions, let me know.
It is NOT an exhaustive list but it can get you started. Additions are welcome.
Restaurants around Ames
Restaurants/food near Campus
- Morning Bell Best coffee, downtown
- Cafe Diem coffee in downtown
- Hub Coffee closest to Carver, also middle eastern food.
- Arcadia Campus town, food portions (used to be) really small
- Stomping Grounds Good campus coffee, healtier food
- Clouds Sky high coffe by campus
- Lockwood Café Hippie dippie crunchy granola crepes and coffee (kid friendly)
- Starbucks - several locations around town, including campus
- Foosball in Carver Gradualte Lounge. Ask Nate or Jay to join the grandmaster league.
- Disc golf (ISU) Wooded 18 hole course
- Disc golf (Ames) More open with elevation 18 hole course
- City leagues Many sports, leagues differ by skills
- Seven Oaks Skiing and snowtubing 20 minutes from Ames. One of my favorite. In summer kayak/canooing
- Robert Thomas Dance Studio Learn how to really dance.
- Contact Ann Russell if you are interested in ballet email list because there is a secrete (and really good) ballet class.
- Perfect Games Bowling, Laser Tag, Mini Golf, Arcade, and pizza+beer
- Ice Arena Ice skating and ice hockey
- Community Center City gym. Pickup volleyball, picke ball, badminton, basketball, gym
- When it is freezing, City installs free outdoors ice skating
- State Gym offers many classes Yoga, Barre, Zumba, circuit training,..., and other activities